It’s that time of year, friends, when we are kindly reminded that freedom is not so free. I would wager that the Republican Party sees its highest increase in membership on Tax Day, but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, the tax blow can easily be lessened with a few free goodies around town. I just returned from dropping off my carefully addressed tax checks at the Post Office and laughing at the chumps in the line wrapped around the block (come on, guys, go buy stamps at Duane Reade instead of waiting in line!) and I am festively listening to Rage Against the Machine and sipping my free iced coffee from Starbucks.
- Starbucks Coffee. Bring in a coffee mug or tumbler and SBUX will pour you a cup on the house. If you are celebrating the nice weather, they will kindly make that an iced coffee if you ask politely!
- Dunkin Donuts. Free donut with java purchase. What diet?
- Cinnabon. From 6-8 p.m. get two free bite size cupcakes! No seriously, what about your diet? Did I mention the flavors are Chocolate Passion, 24-Carrot Cake, Vanilla Bliss and Cinnacake Classic?
- Staples. The office supplier will copy up to 30 single-sided pages (15 double-sided) of tax-related documents for free. That was easy!
- Subway. Free cookie with purchase.
- McCormick & Schmick’s. The restaurant is honoring the 1040 tax form with a $10.40 dinner and drink special for guests dining in the bar area. So finish your taxes already and get over there because you’ll also receive a $10.40 gift certificate for a later date! (And if you’re a super stressed accountant, you’ll get free dessert and a gift certificate if you show a business card on Friday.)
- Maggie Moo’s. My childhood ice cream shop is giving away slices of its new ice cream pizza. Mmmm.
- Jamba Juice. So this one isn’t tax related, but Jamba is having a buy one, get one free special until April 25th to celebrate their birthday. Mango Mantra, I love thee.
Did I miss any other good ones? (Energy Kitchen had a free lunch with drink purchase special going, but that ended at 2 p.m. and involved a hefty wait!)